By Ayesha Erkin
Frank Lloyd Wright designed the Bachman Wilson house in 1954 for a site in Millstone, New Jersey. After changing ownership several times, and, in part due to repeated flood damage, the house was sold, disassembled and moved to Bentonville, Arkansas, where it is being reassembled as part of the collection at the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art.
A fifth-year option studio, led by Gregory Herman, associate professor of architecture, currently is preparing interpretive and documentary materials for the house. As part of our objective to learn more about Wright and the Bachman Wilson house, we went on a field trip to Columbia University’s Avery Library Archive in New York City, where Wright’s papers are held.